Playing, Coaching, Training, Fixtures, Contacts
Henley Cricket Club Junior Section
Welcome to the Junior section of Henley Cricket Club
Registration is now CLOSED for 2021
Please do not try and register. We will be announcing our winter nets programme soon.
You must register to become a member and use our facilities, to attend Team Training or join our winter nets programme links to register will be back on this page once our registration system opens.
Did you miss us?
We missed you. We missed those fun, packed sunny days watching our young players smashing sixes, catching like a cat and bowling those perfect maiden overs.
Among all the turmoil of the past year, we managed to put on a more extended cricket season for Henley's youth, with some teams playing right through to October! Unfortunately, due to the safety regulations that we are all too aware of and have been living with for the past months, we could not extend our usual schedule and run our tremendous winter nets, but never mind……
The restrictions are slowly lifting, and we expect to put on another great season of cricket at Henley, so it's time to register and get your young cricketer into a team!
What to expect and what is new?
- New Team Managers for 2021 - Tom Manwaring, Dan Ball and Peter Burcham with the U9 Boys, Kate Barratt with the U11 Boys Prasad Kulkarmi and Will Spriggs for U11 girls and Chris Stokes with U15 girls. Welcome aboard and thank you in advance for your help
- New Friday evening start date, due to the lack of Winter Nets, we are starting training earlier this year Friday evening training on the 16th April (not the 12th) and running it right through to 28th August
- We will again invite our girls to train alongside the boys on Fridays, mixing in with the same age group players as long as there is enough space and coaching available. This is in addition to our usual Saturday training for girls. Details on the website.
- New home venue. - We are pleased to announce that after a successful trial in 2020, we will be playing some of our junior home games at the beautiful Culham Court; this is in addition to the fantastic facilities we currently enjoy at Henley, Harpsden, Nettlebed and Shiplake College.
- An extended season. Learning from last year. We've decided to run our cricket season through the summer holidays in 2021; after all, it seems we are not going anywhere.
- 128 Berkshire and Oxfordshire league fixtures already organised for our boys and girls with the first games starting at the end of April.
- Two new gazeboes to keep our travelling teams cool on those hot away day cricket festivals
- Use of the nets and club facilities, when not in use by a team or club training night. These are typically Tuesday, Thursday and Friday Evenings, Saturdays and Sunday mornings. To book in and use our nets club members will be sent links to our nets booking calendars.
- Saturday morning training at Gillotts then Harpsden for girls will continue, plus dedicated invitational academy training sessions for boys throughout the year on Saturdays at Harpsden.
- New warm-up bags for the boys (tbc) For each of our junior boys cricket teams. We have ditched our old team bags as we will no longer be permitted to share kit.
- Your Cricket Pavilion is open to you (when regulations permit). Drop down, grab a drink, enjoy the sunshine and support the local table-topping champions.
All you need to do is register . Instructions in the link will guide you to our PayPal account.
£99 - Our development players, which is all those boys and girls under 8 (up to but not including Year 4 of the current 20/21 school year)
£119 - All the other Junior boys and girls.
As a thank you to our local heroes, we will be extending our NHS staff deal this year. Email us, and we'll let you know how to register; this goes for those who may need a little help with our membership fees. Just get in touch. We don't want children missing out and are here to help. Henley Junior Team Managers also receive free membership.
What do I get for this?
Our development squad receive training every Sunday morning for 21 weeks which includes coaching by experienced ECB qualified coaches, organised games….
Our Juniors also receive 21 weeks of Friday or Saturday morning training led by the same coaches plus league games through the summer term followed by summer holiday friendlies, finals (if successful in the league), cup games, festivals and optional tours (organised within each team).
All Team Managers and Coaches are DBS checked.
We will let you be the judge, but we think that is excellent value at about £5.60 a week for a heck of a lot of cricket.
Not ready to join the club just yet? Unsure?
Henley Cricket Club provides cricket training to our local schools. We hope your son or daughter will enjoy training with our club coaches at school. If they like it, then come on down to Henley. I am sure they will know some others if not, then they'll soon get to know some new friends.
In 2021 we are also partnering with a couple of local schools to run pilot cricket training sessions during school time at our club so the local children can experience, benefit and become familiar with our club the facilities!
We also offer ECB ‘All-Stars’ cricket programme and will provide the registration link for that once the ECB provide it to us
Finally, if your child has not played before, is unsure if cricket is for them, then ask us for a free trial session. All you'll need to do is fill in our online registration form and drop on down.
When is training?
Friday Evening from 16th April
- Under 9s - 17:15 to 18:30
- Under 11s - 18:00 to 19:30
- Under 13s - 18:45 to 20:15
- Under 15s - 18:45 to 20:15 (to 20:30 from May to July depending on light)
Saturday Mornings from 17th April at Harpsden Cricket Club
- Girls focus - 09:00 to 10:30
Sunday Mornings from 18th April
- Little Crickets for all three to six year olds. 09:30 to 11:20
- Development Group (20/21 school year 2 &3) 09:00 to 10:15
ECB All stars - link and details to followTeam Kit - Look the part
Get your cricket whites ready for the new season. You can get the team kit from the club's online store.
What to bring to training and matches
If playing softball which is up to U9 for boys
For training - You really only need to dress for sporting activity with a comfortable pair of training shoes, bring a bat (can be plastic), a bottle of water and some hand gel.
For games - Basically the same as for training however we prefer players to be dressed in white when representing the club and do prefer our team players in team colours (see above), it is advisable to bring a snack to consume between innings as there are no tea's provided currently due to covid restrictions.
If playing hardball which is from U10 upwards for boys
For training - Please dress in sports gear with clean comfortable training shoes. You will also need your own box, bat, gloves, pads, a ball (4.5oz to U13 then 5.5oz from U14) and helmet. For wicket keepers they will also need wicket keeping gloves. Plus a bottle of water and some hand gel.
For matches - Basically the same as for training however we expect players to be dressed in their whites when representing the club and in our team colours (see link to online store above), it is advisable to bring a snack to consume between innings as there are no tea's provided currently due to covid restrictions.Girls and Ladies members
Look out for additional details from Diane Lee who will be following up by email soon.What's been going on at the club since 2020?
As you probably know, after our season concluded last year, lockdowns swiftly followed. However, the club managed to put in new lights along the driveway to the pavilion, replace the drain away next to the nets and fix the shed door at Nettlebed, toilets in the Henley Pavilion. We cut down a tree for safety reasons other than that; we've been restricted with what we're permitted to do due to covid restrictions. We also missed out on the money we would typically receive from the regatta, which was a tremendous financial loss to the club.
What are you waiting for?
Don't delay. Even in a typical year when we open registration in January, our teams fill up fast. We strongly recommend registering now so our Team Managers can get the teams organised for the games that start in a few weeks (one age group team has already arranged pre-season friendlies).
Meet the Team Managers!
- Tom Manwaring, Dan Ball & Peter Burcham U9 Boys
- Kate Barratt U10, U11 Boys
- Chris Ellison & Matt Nebbett U11 Boys
- Ian Rechner & James Lane U13 Boys
- Mike Quinn U14,U15 Boys
- Prasad Kulkarmi and Will Spriggs for U11 Girls
- Rebecca Quinn & Matt Butlin U13 Girls
- Andrew Boterill, Duncan Parr & Chris Stokes U15 girls
- Diane Lee & David Blomfield U17 Girls
- All your fixtures have been organised for you by Ness Bowlby
Please note the following:
- The field net and strip to the side of the square for Team use only
- Umpires room used for toilet facilities only. Only available if Club Supervisor is on site.
- 1:1 sessions led by our Clubs Director of Cricket & Head Junior Coach subject to their availability. Please see booking link to the left of this page.
- Club facilities priority is for Juniors Friday 17:00 - 21:00, Saturday 08:00 - 14:00 & Sunday 08:00 - 14:00
- Club facilities priority for Seniors Tuesday 16:00 - 21:00, Thursday 16:00 - 21:00 & Saturday 14:00 - 20:00
- Club facilities priority for Girls Monday 16:00 - 21:00, Wednesday 17:00 - 21:00 & Saturday 08:00-14:00
- Juniors will also be able to use the field/astro net at Harpsden if booked through their system, note the nets at Harpsden will be out of action for a period of 2021.
- Team Training sessions organised through our Clubs Team Managers. Please enquire with your 2020 Team Manager.
- Before using our ground please familiarise yourself with the ECB Covid-19 regulations <as of March 2021
What to be aware of and what to do when we are permitted to play again. Basically the same as last year? We are operating a bar for those parents sitting outside on a Friday evenings and hope to open up more of our facilities throughout the summer, including the return of our popular Friday evening BBQ.
- You must bring all your own kit including appropriate safety equipment such as helmets, box, bat, pa, gloves AND your own balls and hand sanitiser.
- It would be best if you arrived on time, or a maximum of five mins early but not approach those already at the ground until their session has finished.
- You must pack up and leave promptly after your session so the next 1:1 session can start on time.
- Parents must only gather in groups of six and be seated if enjoying a drink from our bar. Initially spectators WILL NOT BE PERMITTED to any game. When Pavillion opens the maximum number permitted in the Pavillion is ten. If it rains please sit in your car.
- Training sessions should run almost as usual once group size restrictions are lifted.
- Note we can not allow children to use any facilities without a parent or guardian. The Club Supervisor* is there to ensure guidelines are followed and stumps etc. are cleaned between sessions and not to look after children. *If there is no 1:1 session or ~Team Training session being run by our Head Coach or Director of Cricket then the parent member will assume the position of Club Representative and Supervisor and ensure stumps are wiped down and area is clean for next group
- When attending the Club each parent or guardian must sign in and help ensure social distancing is adhered to. Please fill in the track and trace Drop in Form
- You must use our Nets calendar booking system to use our facilities. You can only access the Nets calendars once you have registered and paid.
- All the above is weather dependent and the club reserve the right to adjust the schedule.
2021 ECB Guidelines < PLEASE READ BEFORE ARRIVING:
Finally a big thank you, thank you for reading this far, thank you for all your support in 2020, thank you for bringing your children along to play cricket, thank you for socialising at the club, thank you for making the junior section what it is. Putting on the games, festivals, tournaments, BBQ's (well lets hope we can dust it off again in 2021) and training takes a lot of effort and I’d like to thank you all for all that you do to help us get cricket on.
Any queries please drop us an email, look out for updates on our Facebook page and please let your friend's know about all the youth cricket programmes we are running at Henley...
For further details about Junior Membership please email:
Mike Quinn and the Henley Cricket Juniors Team.